Internal fuselage arrangement of Burkhard’s G. Designed for long-range service, the Gotha G. V was used principally as a night bomber. Operational use gotha 1933–1945 PDF the Gotha G.
Författare: Matthias Wenzel.
Der Gothaer Publizist Matthias Wenzel arbeitet in seinem neunten Buch die Geschichte Gothas in den 1930er- und 1940er-Jahren heraus. Über 160 Fotografien geben Einblicke in die schwere Zeit, als Gotha unter nationalsozialistischer Herrschaft stand, in die Vorkriegs- und Kriegsjahre. Das Buch zeigt in bemerkenswerten historischen Bildern die Befreiung durch die Amerikaner und endet schließlich mit dem Besatzungswechsel.
IV demonstrated that the incorporation of the fuel tanks into the engine nacelles was a mistake. In a crash landing the tanks could rupture and spill fuel onto the hot engines. In response Gothaer produced the G. V, which housed its fuel tanks inside the fuselage. V pilot seat was offset to port.
This blocked the connecting walkway that previously on earlier machines allowed crew members to move between the three gun stations. All bombs were carried externally in this model. V offered no performance improvement over the G. IV due to additional equipment and the use of insufficiently seasoned timber.
The Gotha included an important innovation in the form of a „gun tunnel“, whereby the underside of the rear fuselage was arched, early versions allowing placement of a rearward-facing machine gun, protecting against attack from below, removing the blind spot. Later versions expanded the tunnel to remove the lower gun, providing a slot in the upper fuselage that allowed the rear gunner to remain stationary. V entered service in August 1917. For the performance reasons aforementioned, it generally could not operate at altitudes as high as the G. In February 1918, Gothaer tested a compound tail unit with biplane horizontal stabilizers and twin rudders. The new tail unit, known as the Kastensteuerung, improved the aircraft’s marginal directional control on one engine.
Carried an increased payload comparing to the earlier G. The Stossfahrgestell proved so good that it was fitted to all G. Vb aircraft, the first being delivered to Bogohl 3 in June 1918. By the Armistice, all 80 aircraft were built but the last batch did not reach the front and was delivered direct to the Allied special commission. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gotha G. The Complete Encyclopedia of Flight 1848-1939, by John Batchelor and Malcolm V. III showed that the rear gunner could not efficiently operate both the dorsal and ventral positions.
Hans Burkhard’s solution was the Gotha tunnel, a trough connecting an aperture in the upper decking with a large, triangular cross-section opening extending from the wing’s trailing edge rearwards along the bottom of the rear fuselage. The fuselage was fully skinned in plywood, eliminating the partial fabric covering of the G. Although it was not the reason for this modification, it was noted at the time that the plywood skinning enabled the fuselage to float for some time in the event of a water landing. IV entered service with Kagohl 1, which was redesignated Kagohl 3 upon receipt of the new machines, and the G. IVs were soon to be put to use in Operation Türkenkreuz – the strategic bombing of London.
Schwarzlose machine guns for Austro-Hungarian service. Another one was experimentally fitted with a 20 mm Becker cannon for ground attack. Gothas were used in German strategic bombing during World War I. All surviving Gotha aircraft were destroyed in accordance with the terms of the Treaty of Versailles. The sole known exception was one Gotha G.